Gnarly Head is a brand of wine I enjoy while in my backyard cooking some Q. I saw they had a rib contest, so I entered this recipe for submission. Unfortunately, I didn’t win the $5,000 prize, but I still enjoy the wine.
1 Rack of St. Louis cut spareribs (2lbs+)
- 1/2cup turbinado sugar
- 2 tbsp Seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 tbsp Black pepper
- ¼ cup Hot pepper jelly
- ¼ cup Squeezable butter
- ¼ cup Gnarly Head Cab
- Kansas City style BBQ sauce
- Apple wood chunks
- Heavy duty foil
- Set up grill for indirect cooking at 250 degrees.
- Mix rub ingredients together in a bowl.
- Remove membrane from the ribs and apply rub on the ribs.
- Use apple wood for smoke and place the ribs on grill.
- Cook for 3 hours at 250 degrees.
- Then wrap ribs tight in heavy duty foil
- Cook for another 2 hours in the foil.
- Next, remove the foil, but reserve the juices.
- Apply a coat of honey on the ribs and cook for another hour or until tender.
- Mix 50/50 of warm KC style BBQ sauce and juice reserve together and apply on ribs when they are done.